Juvéderm® Injectable Gel is the “next generation” of dermal fillers. Created by Allergan – the manufacturer of Botox®, Juvéderm® provides a smooth, long-lasting correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds. Dermal fillers are used to restore volume and fullness to the skin, giving a healthy, youthful appearance.
New! The FDA has recently approved Juvéderm® Ultra XC for injection into the lips and perioral area for lip augmentation with results lasting up to one year.
how does it work?
Juvéderm® filler is an FDA-approved smooth-consistency gel capable of restoring volume to the skin while smoothing away moderate-to-severe facial wrinkles and folds. This filler is made of hyaluronic acid (HA), a naturally occurring substance in the skin that adds volume and hydration. But unlike other hyaluronic acid fillers, which usually have granular consistencies, Juvéderm® injectable gel is the first smooth-consistency HA gel that is easily injected into the skin and produces immediate, natural-looking results. This is due to an innovative manufacturing process called Hylacross™ technology. Hylacross™ gives Juvéderm® its unique smooth-gel properties as well as an optimal gel structure that holds up over time. That’s why Juvéderm® injectable gel is the only HA filler that’s FDA approved to last up to 1 year.
What Areas Can be treated with Juvéderm?
As you age, the lines that form around your nose and mouth become more noticeable. Juvéderm® is most commonly used to correct these different types of facial lines, including “parentheses lines” (nasolabial folds), smile lines, vertical lip lines, and marionette lines (lines formed near the chin). It can also help to define the lip border and give the appearance of a fuller lip.
different Types of Juvéderm
There are multiple products within the Juvéderm® family that are designed for different uses:
Juvéderm® Ultra: The original Juvéderm® formula, Ultra is ideal for treating moderate lines and wrinkles, provides limited contouring and scar correction, and moderate lip enhancement. Results typically can last up to 9 months.
Juvéderm® Voluma: The first and only hyaluronic acid (HA) based dermal filler approved by the FDA to instantly increase the volume of the cheeks. Results last up to 2 years with fill correction.
Juvéderm® Volbella: A hyaluronic acid gel-based filler that uses patented Vycross technology to smooth lip lines and other fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth. Results last up to 12 months after treatment.
Juvéderm® Vollure: Juvéderm's newest filler designed to correct the most severe folds and wrinkles including the nasolabial folds. Results of Vollure can last up to 18 months.
How is Juvéderm Treatment given?
Juvéderm® injections take about 15 minutes in-office. There is no need for anesthesia but Dr. Tittle or his nurse injector may choose to apply a topical or injectable anesthetic to numb the treatment area and reduce the risk of any potential discomfort. The injection is then administered under the skin in the targeted area to add volume or fill in wrinkles and folds.
The most commonly reported side effects are temporary injections-site redness, swelling, pain/tenderness, firmness, lumps/bumps and bruising. If you are planning to have Juvéderm® please avoid taking any aspirin, ibuprofen, or Motrin for at least 10 days prior to treatment as this can help minimize the risk of bruising.
Before + After Gallery
*Disclaimer: Results may vary from person to person.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
Are there any reasons why I should not receive any JUVÉDERM® injectable gel formulation?
Do not use these products if you have a history of multiple severe allergies or severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis), or if you are allergic to lidocaine or the Gram-positive bacterial proteins used in these products.
What precautions should my doctor advise me about?
• Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. The safety of these products for use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding has not been studied
• The safety of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC in patients under 35 years or over 65 years, the safety of JUVÉDERM® XC and JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC injectable gels in patients under 18 years, and the safety of JUVÉDERM VOLLURE™ XC and JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC in patients under 22 years has not been studied
• The safety and effectiveness of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC in areas other than the cheek area, JUVÉDERM® XC and JUVÉDERM VOLLURE™ XC for areas other than facial wrinkles and folds, and JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC and JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC in areas other than the lips and perioral area have not been established in clinical studies
• Tell your doctor if you have a history of excessive scarring (eg, hypertrophic scarring and keloid formations) or pigmentation disorders, as use of these products may result in additional scars or changes in pigmentation
• Tell your doctor if you are planning other laser treatments or a chemical peel, as there is a possible risk of inflammation at the treatment site if these procedures are performed after treatment
• Patients who experience skin injury near the site of injection with this product may be at a higher risk for side effects
• Tell your doctor if you are on immunosuppressive therapy used to decrease the body’s immune response, as use of these products may result in an increased risk of infection
• Tell your doctor if you are using medications that can prolong bleeding, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or other blood thinners, as this may result in increased bruising or bleeding at the injection site
• Minimize strenuous exercise, exposure to extensive sun or heat, and alcoholic beverages within the first 24 hours following treatment
What are possible side effects?
The most commonly reported side effects with JUVÉDERM® injectable gels included injection-site redness, swelling, pain, tenderness, firmness, lumps/bumps, bruising, discoloration, and itching. For JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC, dryness was also reported. For JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC, most side effects were moderate and lasted 2 to 4 weeks. For JUVÉDERM® XC, JUVÉDERM VOLLURE™ XC, and JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC injectable gels, most side effects were mild or moderate and lasted 14 days or less. For JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC, most side effects were mild or moderate and lasted 30 days or less.
One of the risks with using these products is unintentional injection into a blood vessel, and while rare, the complications can be serious and may be permanent. These complications, which have been reported for facial injections, can include vision abnormalities, blindness, stroke, temporary scabs, or permanent scarring.
As with all skin injection procedures, there is a risk of infection.
To report a side effect with any JUVÉDERM® product, please call Allergan at 1-800-433-8871. Please visit Juvederm.com or talk to your doctor for more information.
Available by prescription only.